Under the Digital India initiative, the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) plans to develop a world-class Knowledge Resource Centre Network (KRCNet). It would upgrade traditional libraries of the MoES system into a top-notch Knowledge Resource Centres (KRC), the government announced, July 27.
”KRCs will be connected with each other and integrated into the KRCNet portal. It will be a single point entry to the intellectual world of Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES),” said MoES in a statement.
It said the resources and services of MoES system would be accessible 24X7 through a one point dynamic, updated and integrated KRCNet portal.
It enumerated the Salient objectives of the KRCNet:
- Establish a Total Quality Management (TQM) system by securing ISO certification for documenting MoESknowledge resources, its maintenance, easy retrieval and dissemination.
- Collect, collate, analyze, index, store and disseminate the intellectual resources, products and project outputs available in MoES headquarter and its institutes.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date meta-data of the print & digital resources available in MoES headquarter and MoES institutes, including MoES services.
- Provide 24X7 access to the subscribed knowledge contents through the KRCNet portal.
- Application of information analytical tools & techniques like bibliometrics, scientometrics, big-data analytics, social media analytics etc., for policy formulation, report preparation and information dissemination.
- Periodically organize training workshops to popularize usage of electronic journals, databases, digital products, data analytics etc.